"For me, my favourite weekend dish is making potato scones for brunch. I'm not much of a breakfast cook but after trying these for the first time in the UK several years ago, I was sold. I had to learn how to make them! After several attempts, I think I finally got 'em right."
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 oz butter (plus more for frying)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour
1. Wash and scrub the potatoes. Poke the potatoes all over with a fork and place in microwaveable dish. Pop in the microwave on full power for 5 minutes. Then turn over and microwave for another 5 minutes.
Let the potatoes cool before peeling.
2. Mash the peeled potatoes into a bowl (alternatively, you can use a potato ricer). Add the butter and salt. Mix well.
3. Sprinkle some flour onto the counter. Dump the potatoes and mix in the flour. Gently knead until smooth.
4. Divide the dough into 4 or 6 equal portions. Form each portion into a ball. Roll out the ball until 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle a bit of flour if necessary to prevent sticking. Once the ball is rolled out, cut into quarters (for larger scones) or into sixes (for smaller scones). Repeat for remaining balls.
5. Melt a bit of butter in a nonstick pan on medium heat. Fry the potato scones until golden brown on each side.
6. Serve with your favourite breakfast items or enjoy as is.